Every building is required to have fire protection measures in place to prevent the spread of fire and smoke. Cavity Stop Socks, otherwise known as cavity fire barriers, are an essential part in that.
To comply with fire safety regulations, and to ensure that the building you are constructing has the best possible protection, Cavity Stop Socks may be required.
In this blog, we look at the features and the benefits of Cavity Stop Socks and why they should be an integral part of any construction build project you undertake.
What is a Cavity Stop Sock?
First, it’s worth being clear on what Cavity Stop Socks actually are. Cavity Stop Socks are strips of low resin, non-combustible rock fibre mineral wool, sleeved in 35 to 50-micron polythene, for onsite protection. H2: What is the purpose of Cavity Stop Socks?
Cavity Stop Socks give up to 4-hour fire integrity and are designed to restrict the spread of fire and smoke in concealed cavities within external masonry and timber framed walls. They can be used throughout cavity walls but are normally set aside for the use at the wall junction.
Cavity Stop Socks additionally can be used for the control of sound flanking at wall junctions and the insulation also provides excellent acoustic properties.
- Manufactured using Rock Fibre Mineral Wool
- Lengths of low resin material sleeved in 35 to 50-micron polythene
- A range of widths and thicknesses are available on request, to suit different cavity specifications
What are the benefits?
- Up to 4-hour fire integrity rated
- Cavity Stop Socks are easy to install both horizontally and vertically and are a low maintenance option for fire protection across both residential and commercial builds.
- Satisfies all requirements set out by the National House Building Council (NHBC)
- Class O, and therefore complies with all relevant building regulations
- Meets all relevant British Standards
- Non-combustible to BS476: Part 20 (1987)
- Will not degrade under normal conditions within buildings
- The Cavity Stop Socks will not sustain vermin, encourage growth of rot, fungi, mould, or bacteria.
Did you know that we manufacture Cavity Stop Socks in-house?
Dyson Energy Services manufacture Cavity Stop Socks in-house and can accommodate your requirements and offer a range of widths and thicknesses to suit
More more information on our products and services – please contact a Dyson specialist